Students and internships
Since we have entered the construction and testing phase, there is a interesting opportunity for motivated students to work in the project. We work with highly motivated team and innovative companies. The topics for the students (technical university level or HBO) to be engaged in are: flight control redundancy systems, safety systems and range extenders. Finally, the THMP also opens a neat opportunity to study new organizational and business strategies.
Testing carbon fibre tubes
The bending tests with the carbon fiber tubes have been finalized. It was quite fun to do a simple test with sufficient accuracy. We used scales and measuring tapes. We can simulate the stresses in a software program, like Solid Works, and compare those with the actual results. It gives us a better understanding of the carbon fiber properties in the carbon fiber tubes. The analysis of the results is pending, but just to give a highlight: a 50 mm diameter tube of 2 mm thickness, could resist a load of more than 320 kg centered between a 1.93 m distance. .
Also good news for the glue tests: with the special epoxy glue (Lubribond) we connected a alum connector to 25 mm diameter carbon fibre tube. The system can hold more than 1000 kg, without any damage on the alum, gluing area or at the cabon fibre tube.
All in all the tests have yielded good info on the acceptable stress and loads to optimize carbon fibre tubes design.
Preparing for the motor configuration tests
The belt drive system is almost completed. It is a marvel. Again by making it we could see scope for minor improvements. We have introduced those and corrected the design. Next Monday we finish the belt drive ready for testing, see picture of the assembled system.
Apart from the belt drive, the support structure (almost done) and the coaxial rotor (contra-rotating) support needs finished. This will take place early next week. We started with the electronics and putting the system together: and as always we need connectors and extension cables not available: for me it was going back in time: soldering connectors, shrinking plastic, etc.. Kees has prepared the testing schedule and all measurement equipment..
We furthered the development on this aspect of the project with a small excel sheet that allows us to determine required speeds of the different components deployment. Based on some standard values for the different actuation speeds and reaction times, we can conclude that the rescue height might be reduced to 5 m, when the airbag parachute is unfolded. Of course this requires airbag inflator speeds. We are also in conversation with some manufacturers of these inflators.
Shape and canopy
The shape and canopy optimization has been finalized. The craft sketched is a marvel. After the tests on the configuration we will reveal the final shape.
Legal issues and safety
Planned is to discuss a number of pending issues with NRL. We hope to have a conversation with them soon!